Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day Eight


More rain. Rain, rain, rain. I don't think it is ever going to stop. I am surprised at how well the property is holding up with all of the wetness. Being from the Fraser Valley, I am used to the mud but there is not much here (which I can thank David and Sarah for...their planning and use of crusher dust seems to have saved everything). I can no longer count on my fingers the number of times I have nearly ended up on my rear end in the goat paddock though. It is awfully slippery where the goats have made a path and when darkness falls at 3:00 (as it did yesterday with the storm), avoiding those spots are pretty hard.

This morning when I went to feed the horses, all the hay had been eaten, which is surprising as they had a bale and a half at least between the two feeders and the hay nets in the shelter. I soon found though, that they had ripped the zap straps on the top of the new feeder and had a 'hay day' with it. I'm so glad that was easily fixable.

On the plus side, I haven't had to fill water buckets or have a shower lately- the rain seems to be taking care of that just fine.

4 comments:

  1. That's the first time one of the feeder tops has broken off...new zap straps should last for another six months at this rate.

    If you are sliding around in the goat paddock find something that will give you a little more traction and put it down. Maybe some of those anti-fatigue rubber mats with the holes in them? I think you can get them at Canadian tire. I was going to move that big stall mat by the side of the garage to the area right in front of the van, but I forgot/ran out of time, so you can do that too. It might be a little slippery, but not as bad as mud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your taste in Blogger templates, Tess! ;)

    I'm looking forward to hearing about FF again. I have missed hearing about Tonka and the goats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck is "crusher dust"? It sounds so exotic!

    Or maybe it's a nifty Canadian way to refer to something we 'murkens describe in a more boring way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crusher Dust is (I assume and don't quote me on this) a type of gravel commonly used for horse paddocks and other things like pathways at golf courses and such.

    ReplyDelete